miércoles, 25 de marzo de 2015

Week 10: Enriching vocabulary.

We know that reading and vocabulary are some of the hardest part in learning because we as teachers cannot evaluate only how faster a student read a book, but also how much they understand about this reading. But technology offers a great resources and strategies for integrating technology to develop vocabulary as part of reading and learning. Something I learned in this article was that to encourage students, teachers need to be very creative and the best part of this is that technology is helping us a lot.

There are many websites that let students to verify how well they are doing with their vocabulary and also to learn more vocabulary. For example, http://www.lexipedia.com , lexipedia is an online visual semantic network with dictionary and thesaurus reference functionality, I have used it before because it is very useful and it not only give the definition of the word we are looking for, but also it provide what category the word is and some synonyms and antonyms. 
There is also another page that is very complete, creative and useful, is a fun educational website dedicated to help teacher to build reading, phonics, or English language skills,  http://www.vocabulary.co.il is an excellent vocabulary website that offers hundreds of amazing games and activities to teacher vocabulary.


 The quote that most cough my attention and that I think it summarize the information I have read is:  “Vocabulary is one of those things where the rich get richer.”- Dr. Eli Hinkel (Editorial Board 2009)


Rate: 5


1 comentario:

  1. Greetings Vanessa, it was a very good experience to read your post for this week. Just like you, I enjoyed and learned a lot from this week's required articles. I appreciate the fact that you provided examples of useful websites in your post, and it is interesting to know that you have used them effectively. For me it was surprising to know that there are dictionaries that are designed for language learners, and I think that is awesome. I also liked the quote you mentioned. I think that what it says is very accurate, and it should remind us to give Vocabulary the importance that it deserves.

    ResponderEliminar